Charleston is a great place to vacation, and if you’re an aerial student visiting us from someplace else, we’d love to meet you. Read on for details about class placement for visiting aerialists.
Read on if you would like to learn how to get in to our Leveled Classes.
Our Class Levels
Students progress through our class levels by taking level tests, similar to earning your belt in martial arts. Level tests include a strength and control assessment, a sequence, and a variety of representative skills.
Everything has to be done equally well on both sides without little cheats like jumping, swinging or tagging into inversions. Our regular students have worked really hard to get into our higher level classes and we want to keep the class focused on them.
Our Student Ages
The vast majority of our classes are for adults, defined as ages 16 and up. On average the majority of our students are women in their 20s to 40s, but all gender identities and ages 16 and over are welcome. We only have a few classes for students ages 11 to 15. We do not have classes for children under 11 years old. We do not allow visiting students 11 to 15 into our adult classes, even if they are accompanied by a parent or have previous experience.
We can schedule private or semi-private lessons for students ages 11 and up.
For visiting students, there are two options for getting into our higher level classes.
- Set up a 30 Minute Welcome Private for an assessment or
- Send us an email with the following information:
- The class or classes you want to take.
- Your approximate per week amount of time you train on the apparatus. Less than once a week. Once a week. Twice a week, etc.
- The school where you train regularly and their website.
- A link to videos you have of yourself in action on the apparatus for the classes you have listed above. These do not have to be high quality videos. Simple phone videos and/or videos posted to social media (Instagram / Facebook) work great.
What to expect in our classes
Our students are very open and welcoming, are always interested in learning about other aerialists and will be happy to see you in class. Our typical class includes a group warm up, a mix of conditioning, skills and sequence building and a group cool down. We train all skills on both sides of the body.
In our lower level classes we focus on strong technique and control, so it’s a great place to improve and refine your fundamentals. Our higher level classes include more creative work and apparatus theory puzzles. We’ll place you in the class where we believe you will be most successful.
- We push our higher level students pretty hard to build strength and learn new skills. We can do this safely because we have a lot of experience working with each student. We know their personal quirks as learners and they know our quirks as teachers.
- It would not be safe for us to push students who we don’t know or who don’t know us in a group class setting.
- Curious about what our students are doing? You can learn a lot by watching them move. Our advanced beginners often participate in Show Off Nights. Our Intermediate and higher students often participated in our Student and Staff Showcases.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I come to your Open Practice / Member Training Time while I’m in town?
Sorry, but no. Open Practice is only for current dedicated Aerial Fit members, and it’s a time they spend practicing skills they’ve learned in class. If you are a professional aerialist (Qualified Aerial Instructor or Professional Performing Artist), please contact us to discuss the possibility of setting up Professional Training Time. We will want to see video, learn who you have trained with and where you teach.
Is there any studio etiquette I need to be aware of?
Thanks for asking! You’ll need to sign a waiver and receive our safety orientation even if you have prior experience, so please arrive at least 10 minutes ahead of class time. Be aware that we require all aerialists to use 8” thick crash mats for any work done at height. If you are coming from the beach please remember to come sand and sunblock free so that our equipment and floor can remain clean.
We really do love meeting aerialists from across the nation and around the world. Please contact us with any questions.